APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 30, 2016
(HOUSTON, TX) March 21, 2016 — Houston Center for Contemporary Craft (HCCC) announces its call for artists for the fall exhibition, CraftTexas 2016.
CraftTexas 2016 is the ninth in a series of juried exhibitions showcasing the finest in Texas-made contemporary craft. This encompassing exhibition will feature artists from across the state who work in clay, fiber, glass, metal, wood, and found/recycled materials.
On view September 23, 2016 – January 8, 2017, the exhibition provides an introduction for the general public to develop an appreciation for the depth and breadth of craft being made in their local communities and across the state. Additionally, this unique show provides Texas artists the opportunity to be considered for inclusion in major national museum and private collections.
CraftTexas 2016 will be juried by Paul Sacaridiz, Executive Director of Haystack Mountain School of Crafts; Nicole Burisch, Core Fellow Critic-in-Residence at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Glassell School of Art; and HCCC Texas Master, Sandie Zilker, Department Chair of Jewelry and Enamel and Three-Dimensional Design at MFAH Glassell School of Art.
Artists can learn more and apply here: https://crafthouston.org/artists/artist-opportunities/crafttexas-call-for-artists/.
- CraftTexas 2016 is open to craft artists currently residing in Texas.
- The following craft media is accepted: clay, fiber, glass, metal, wood, and found/recycled materials.
- Each artist may submit up to three (3) original works completed within the last two (2) years.
- Work must be available for the duration of the show and may not be withdrawn from the exhibition at any time prior to the closing date of January 8, 2017.
- Crated work must fit through a 4′ x 8′ door, and actual work may not exceed 200 pounds in weight.
- Work cannot have been exhibited at HCCC in the past.
- Three (3) Award of Merit prizes of $1000 each will be selected by the jurors.
- All selected artists will receive the CraftTexas 2016 catalog.
Online Application Process
- All applications must be completed and submitted online via the Slideroom system at https://crafthouston.slideroom.com.
- Applications will be accepted now through April 30, 2016 (Midnight, Central Standard Time).
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Artist statement (maximum of 1000 characters).
- Artists may enter up to three (3) pieces of work. Artists should submit only one (1) digital image per work, for a total of up to three (3) images. All images must be in high-resolution .jpeg format meaning at least 4” x 6” at 300 dpi. DO NOT submit detail images.
- Non-refundable entry fee of $36 to be paid by credit card.
Work submitted to CraftTexas 2016 will be juried via the Slideroom system using high-resolution digital images. Images must be accurate representations of the work. Accepted work that differs significantly from the images may be rejected at the discretion of HCCC. No substitutions of accepted work will be allowed.
- Notification of acceptance will be on or before June 1, 2016.
- Accepted work must arrive to HCCC between Monday, September 5, and Friday, September 16, 2016. Please make proper arrangements for delivery or with your shipper to ensure arrival dates.
- All work will be installed by professional staff and may not be shown at the discretion of HCCC’s curatorial department. Packaging and artworks must be in good condition and able to withstand the strains of transportation. Work must be properly packaged for travel; wooden crates or double-boxed cardboard containers are highly recommended.
- Artists are responsible for transit and insurance of accepted work to the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft. HCCC will not accept COD shipments.
- HCCC will provide insurance for all works while they are exhibited on site and upon their return to the artist.
- HCCC reserves the right to photograph and distribute any images of work in the exhibition for educational or publicity purposes, via electronic or print media of any kind.
HCCC will use the images submitted for the jury process for the exhibition catalog. Please ensure submitted images are professionally photographed and are print quality (minimum size of 300 dpi and 4 x 6 inches).
Jenny Lynn Weitz (email@example.com)
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
713.529.4848 x 308