WHAT: Houston Center for Contemporary Craft (HCCC) is pleased to host its eighth annual HANDS-ON HOUSTON FAMILY FESTIVAL, a free community event. Families and visitors of all ages are invited to this fun day of indoor/outdoor activities. This year, HCCC celebrates the use of color in craft with hands-on activities, demonstrations by local artists, and more.
WHEN: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
WHERE: Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
4848 Main Street, Houston, TX 77002; 713.529.4848
EVENT WEB PAGE: https://crafthouston.org/events/famfest18/
- Learn a variety of techniques for adding color to craft mediums
- Have fun with hands-on activities:
- Design and glaze your own ceramic tile
- Join the Houston Handweavers Guild to dye fabric using natural materials from the Craft Garden
- Make your own sheet of marbled paper
- Join Houston Metal Arts Guild to learn about patina techniques
- Learn about experimental dyeing techniques with local fashion designer Isabel Wilson
- View the fall exhibition, CraftTexas 2018, in the main galleries
- Shop for one-of-a-kind gifts and home décor in the Asher Gallery
- Enjoy food and refreshments on site from Gypsy Wagon and Good Pop
PARKING: The HCCC parking lot will be blocked off for activities and food trucks, but street parking is available nearby.
SPONSORS: Ceramic tiles are generously provided by Daltile, and glazes are provided by AMACO.
The HANDS-ON HOUSTON FAMILY FESTIVAL is a super-sized version of HANDS-ON HOUSTON, a free craft-activity open house at HCCC on the first Saturday of every month (11 AM – 3 PM). Each month, a teaching artist demonstrates a craft related to current exhibitions and events. Families and children of all ages are welcome, and materials are provided.
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft (HCCC) is a nonprofit visual arts center dedicated to advancing education about the process, product, and history of craft. HCCC provides exhibition, retail, and studio spaces to support the work of local and national artists and serves as a resource for artists, educators and the community at large.
Located in the Museum District at 4848 Main Street, HCCC is open Wednesday through Saturday, 10 AM – 5 PM, and Sunday, 12 – 5 PM. Holidays: Closed Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. Admission is free. Free parking is available directly behind the facility, off Rosedale and Travis Street. HCCC is three blocks south of Wheeler Ave. MetroRail station on Main Street.
HCCC is supported by individual donors and members and funded in part by The Brown Foundation; Houston Endowment, Inc.; the City of Houston through the Houston Arts Alliance; Texas Commission on the Arts; the National Endowment for the Arts, the Kinder Foundation; the Morgan Foundation; Windgate Charitable Foundation; and the Wortham Foundation. HCCC is a member of the Houston Museum District and the Midtown Arts District.
For more information, call 713-529-4848 or visit www.crafthouston.org. Find HCCC on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram @CraftHouston.